8.10.2010

Hot


Whew wee! This place is H-O-T! For about the last month the temperature has held steady at a scorching 115 degrees. Some nights don't drop below 100. The situation isn't improved much by my wimpy indoor cooling system that barely keeps my house at an uncomfortable 85 degrees. Between that, my truck's nonfunctioning AC, and the fact that I haven't had cold tap water in 2 months, I am having a first memorable summer in Arizona.

To make my summer a little more interesting, I decided to try an experiment... in the name of science of course.

The myth: It is possible to fry an egg on the sidewalk in Phoenix.

Conclusion: According to exhibit A (on left) it is NOT possible to fry an egg on the sidewalk in Phoenix.

Myth busted.

At the end of the day, I ended up with an egg that was just as watery as when I cracked it, only three times more stinky.

Anyhow, this brings me to my point: I would take 115 degree summer weather over 40 below zero (Rexburg) winters. My reasoning:

1. Even though hot weather and cold weather are both uncomfortable, at least the sun is on your side when it's hot out. Although I may be a sweaty mess, my skin can happily drink up vitamin D while allowing my emotions a rest from Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD). Goodbye gloomy, overcast, haven't-seen-the-sun-in-a-month winters!

2. There is a certain glamour associated with summer. Sunglasses, convertibles, bathing suits... you get the just of it. If you're going to be hot, you might as well be hip! Snow--not so great. It generally results in wet hair and looking like a marshmallow.

3. There is no such thing as "winter driving". Goodbye treacherous road conditions: whiteouts, black ice, loss of control, and driving 5 mph to avoid totaling your car.

4. I don't have to shovel the heat off my driveway or scrape it off my windshield while running the risk of loosing a limb to frostbite.

5. There isn't any ice on the sidewalk to biff it on! I have had my fair share of winter related wipeouts. Now I just need to keep an eye out for stray banana peels.

Moral of the story: even though opening the front door feels more like opening the oven door, bring on the heat. After 23 years of wretched winters, I am welcoming this climate change with open arms. Adios snowy days!


4 comments:

  1. I think your suppose to cook the egg DIRECTLY on the sidewalk. I do agree with you about tolerating the heat better, give me 100+ rather than -10! So why am I still in Wyoming?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I am going to test the hypothesis again and put the egg directly on the concert and see what I come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes... I need to try some different approaches before I totally denounce the truthfulness of the myth. I will have to do it on Saturday when I have a day off. I'll blog about it then. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dude, you are seriously on the polar opposite extreme of Rexburg now. You need to just move to Seattle and find a nice Goldilocks 'just right' climate.

    ReplyDelete